Except for the Aprilia team all MotoGP teams deploy their 2020 “iron horse racing”. The Ecstar Suzuki team used the first day of testing at the Ricardo Tormo circuit in Valencia to test the new engine for the first time on the track. Suzuki GSX-RR 2020 is smoother but tighter and has a lot of traction.
The appearance of the 2020 engine, physically can be distinguished by the presence of two grommets for the oil level (circled) which distinguishes the new engine with the Suzuki GSX-RR 2019.
New Machine Smoother
Alex Rins, who has already tried Suzuki’s new engine, said that their latest engine was very ‘Smooth’, “Towards the end of the session the engine was really good, but we had to work hard to fix it and see what works. The new engine drove very smoothly, but after the first day it’s hard to say. We pay attention to some positive aspects, we have to manage a lot of electronics to make progress. “
Top Speed Increases and Traction Increases
Alex Rins, the mainstay racer with the S logo, added. “Suzuki has done a good job with the new engine. That was the first day (trial) and I have felt an increase in top speed and a slight increase in traction. “
With this engine change, the Suzuki team must of course continue to adjust to its electronics. And the Spaniard is sure to benefit from the improved performance of his GSX engine. “I think we can get more in that area,” Rins said.
The Suzuki manufacturing team will continue to develop their engine today (Wednesday), “This is a positive first day for us and I think tomorrow (Wednesday) we will continue to work on electronics and viewing. I think there is still a lot of room for improvement in this area. “
Perhaps because it is still focused on developing and adjusting electronic Alex Rins does not pursue the fastest time. As he once said: “There is no prize for the fastest during a trial / test”. The Suzuki rider was in 7th place in the record time with Fabio Quartararo in the Yamaha Petronas team as the leader of the first day of the test. Separate the Suzuki manufacturer racer with a gap of 0.795 seconds.
Valencia Test Results Day-1, 19 November 2019
- Quartararo, Yamaha, 1: 30,163 minutes
- Viñales, Yamaha, 1: 30,327, + 0.164 seconds
- Morbidelli, Yamaha, 1: 30,650, + 0.487
- Dovizioso, Ducati, 1: 30,665, + 0.502
- Marc Márquez, Honda, 1: 30,698, + 0.535
- Mir, Suzuki, 1: 30,811, +0648
- Rins, Suzuki, 1: 30,958, + 0.795
- Pol Espargaró, KTM, 1: 30,974, + 0.811
- Rossi, Yamaha, 1: 31,012, + 0.849
- Miller, Ducati, 1: 31,130, + 0.967
- Crutchlow, Honda, 1: 31,183, + 1,020
- Petrucci, Ducati, 1; 31,433, + 1,270
- Lecuona, KTM, 1: 31,645, + 1,482
- Iannone, Aprilia, 1: 31,674, + 1,511
- Rebate, Ducati, 1: 31,775, + 1,612
- Aleix Espargaró, Aprilia, 1: 31,815, + 1,652
- Pedrosa, KTM, 1: 31,863, + 1,700
- Pirro, Ducati, 1: 32,016, + 1,853
- Abraham, Ducati, 1: 32,034, + 1,871
- Smith, Aprilia, 1: 32,090, + 1,927
- Binder, KTM, 1: 32,645, + 2,482
- Bradl, Honda, 1: 32,833, + 2,670
- Alex Márquez, Honda, 1: 32,873, + 2,710